SCG has been engaged by the Queensland Department of Housing and Public Works, on behalf of the Department of Justice and Attorney-General, to undertake the design of a CCTV upgrade at the Princess Alexander Hospital High Security Unit (PAHSU).
Following the completion of the security design and project management of WEHI’s Biotechnology Research facility in Bundoora, SCG team members undertook the design and project management of the security upgrade of WEHI’s Parkville site, including the interconnection with Royal Melbourne Hospital.
SCG was engaged to undertake a review of the proposed CCTV system and the existing internal and external intrusion detection systems at the old Sunset Hospital site which is being redeveloped.
The intrusion detection systems are existing and the CCTV system is being provided in response to a performance brief provided to JLL by Building Management and Works (BMW).
The work included a review of the:
- Extent of CCTV surveillance proposed to meet the client brief;
- Proposed CCTV systems and equipment offered by security integrators in response to the brief;
- Existing buildings internal Intrusion Detection System; and
- Existing external Intrusion Detection Systems provided by beam-sets.
Thomas Embling Hospital is the largest forensic psychiatric facility designed and constructed in the Southern Hemisphere.
The hospital has a maximum security rating and associated security and perimeter systems, which are integrated with the physical elements of the facility and the security management.
SCG team members undertook both the original security design and security management plan and were subsequently involved in the upgrade of the perimeter and control room systems, including the migration from analogue to digital surveillance systems.
Key Challenges and Solutions included:
- Project planning and construction staging to provide continued use of a secure facility during construction
- Design and delivery within an operational and secure facility
- Deterrence, Detection, Delay and Response planning
- Background vetting checks of some staff
- Audit of all who enter the site
- Restriction of access to the site – to deny access to unauthorised personnel, also for OHS competency, life safety, etc.